Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Impact of landslides : Gandhi Ashram School at 6th Mile (Kalimpong) decides to shift

Gandhi Ashram School at 6th Mile (Upper Tashiding) Kalimpong is a school which was founded in 1993 by the late Father Ed McGuire s.j, a Jesuit priest from Canada. It is a unique school in many respects and is a must-see site for any visitor to Kalimpong (read here). The Director of the school now is Fr Paul s.j.
I had the distinct pleasure of knowing Fr McGuire and it saddened me deeply to know that the school is now compelled to shift  to a (hopefully safer) location due to subsidence in the entire school premises - the cause is scouring and erosion by a natural rivulet or jhora which runs just below the school.
I visited the school yesterday and talked to Fr Patel s.j who is the headmaster. He showed me around the premises and allowed me to photograph the damage caused by the subsidence.


Praful Rao

No comments: